Image Map

February 3, 2011

Meet the Teacher

Cara from The First Grade Parade came up with this great idea for teachers to answer questions about themselves.  Her blog is great and has provided many lesson ideas.  I find myself reading so many first grade blogs.  Here's the link to her page.

The First Grade Parade

A bit about myself.  I graduated from the University of Maine.  I began my career as an ed tech and then had the opportunity to be a long term art teacher for a year!  After that I was hired to teach 3rd grade and taught for 6 years.  Now, I'm in first grade.  Change was difficult but I finally feel like I'm in a groove and have adjusted to working with the younger kids.  I'm grateful to have found so many useful blogs to help with planning, ideas, and lessons!  I also have wonderful teammates who have supported and helped me this year.


I was married over 2 years ago on Lanikai Beach in Hawaii.  Sun, sand, beach...and oh yes, Matt was there too.  It was PERFECT!  It still amazes me that I actually got on MANY planes to get there with my fear of flying but I had always wanted to go back because I was born in Honolulu.



We have a cairn terrier who is 8 but still acts like a puppy, always ready to play!




Now for the Q & A
Q: What would you be doing if you weren’t a teacher?                                             
A:  I would love to tap into my creativity more.  I love photography, painting, and anything crafty.  I often find myself trying to include my creativity in the lessons I teach.


Q: What are your hobbies?                                                                    
A: Running, hiking, anything crafty  

                                                           
Q: When you were little, what did you want to be when you grew up?     
A:  A paleontologist.  I wanted to get down and get dirty finding bones!


Q: What are your guilty pleasures?                                                  
 A: Um, that's easy.  Lets say a 5lb box of peppermint patties can be very dangerous!  My grandmother introduced me to these and has always called them "delicious treats."  I want to believe that I introduced my former teammate to these delightful chocolates and am responsible for her current addiction.  These helped us survive many days.  We even calculated that 3 a day would be completely fine for caloric intake.  As I ventured on to first grade she bought a new supply right when I was trying to get off my chocolate kick.  I get a chuckle when staff members sneak into my room throughout the day to get their hands on a few.  I just might have them all addicted soon!



Q: What is your biggest fear?!                                                           
 A: Flying, heights, and not being in control

Q: When you’re on vacation, where do you like to go?                   
 A:  Anywhere the sun is!

                          
Q: What’s the best advice you’ve ever received?                                  
A: From my dad...make sure you always take care of yourself first.  I fall into the category of "people pleaser" too often.


Q: What do you value most in others?                                                   
A:  Genuine people and honesty.


Q: If you could choose one of your personality traits to pass down to your kids, what would it be?                                                                                        
A: No kids yet but I would have to say my sense of humor.  Lets just say moving to first was quite a culture shock.  I would tell a joke and they would just stare at me.  They are so literally at this age but NOW they get humor!!

No comments:

Post a Comment