Image Map

September 21, 2011

A Look into Writer's Workshop

Here's a look into our Writer's Workshop...

At the beginning of the year we looked at different forms of writing and why writer's write.  I showed examples of writing I've completed but also used kid's work.  I found this cute poster at The First Grade Parade and had to make one!

We've spent time going over expectations and what our workshop will look like.  Students learned where to find materials and what to do when they think they're done.  They have worked on adding to their pictures, adding words, or beginning a new piece.  Here's a pic of my writing nook.  This is where kids find all of their supplies and refer to posters.


My kids made heart maps this year, filling it up with topics they could write about.  We talked about using our binoculars and focusing in on a topic.

Now to the writing...Model, model, model!!  I often start with a read aloud and then a quick mini lesson focusing in on a skill I want students to practice.  I model by thinking aloud.  First, I create my picture adding words or labels to help me remember what I'm writing about.  I begin writing, talking aloud, and having the kids help me.  I also show them how to rate their work.  Here's the poster I have in my room. This will apply more as they develop as writers.

First Grade Lyons' Den Rate Your Writing

Students then turn and talk to a friend about a topic they plan on writing about.  Then the writing begins!

I always start with the "Quiet Ten."  This is 10 minutes of quiet, uninterrupted time for the kids to work on their illustrations.  I play music (softly) in the background.  When the music stops the kids know it's time to go to writing.

When writing time is over the kids stamp their work.  This has been a highlight and they enjoy slamming that stamp into the ink pad and onto their paper.  This is a way for me to also keep track of how much they've written.

I will admit the sharing part has been the hardest part to fit in but I WILL find a way to get that in when the workshop is over!

I've been reading No More I'm Done and have found some great ideas that I'm beginning to implement in my class.

*Quiet 10
*Using a notebook with a tab for each student.  When going around to conference you just flip to their page and jot down observations about their writing
*Using an Editor's Checklist and individualizing for each child.  When conferencing you pick one skill you want them to work on.  This makes them responsible for examining their own writing.

Here's the checklist I created and plan on using with my kiddos.

Editor's Checklist

22 comments:

  1. Wow! I really like the rubric you made and modeled for writing! I have been looking for something like that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. THANKS!! It shows the kiddos how important details (pictures and writing) are.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I especially like your rubric. Our school as a similar one with a cake theme, but I think your rubric is very clear to young writers. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. THANK you so much! I'm GLAD to see so many others are finding this useful. I made this about my dog and showed the kiddos how writing something near and dear to your heart is important.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your blog is awesome!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Is your "writer's eye" stuff available for download or purchase? I would love to use it in my classroom!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I actually found it online...Check out the link below and if it doesn't work let me know!

    https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&pid=explorer&chrome=true&srcid=0B6zC45cAimWuOWViNDNjYTgtYTg2Ny00MmY4LWI2ZWEtZjJiMDMxM2VhYjQ3&hl=en_GB

    Laurie

    ReplyDelete
  8. HI! Love the view into your writer's workshop! I just made punctuation to go with the Writer's Eye, which is from First Grade Parade. http://thefirstgradeparade.blogspot.com/2011/08/free-for-all-friday.html

    Here's my punctuation!
    http://msbeattie-samantha.blogspot.com/2011/12/punctuation.html

    Samantha

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks so much! I'll be checking it out.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the look into your Writer's Workshop and the Writer's Eye bulletin board. Just the thing to kickstart the New Year. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you! I'm now beginning to get types of endings and books that model them together.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Laurie! I just posted your Rate my Writing poster as my Wednesday Pinterest Pick of the Week! Thanks again for sharing your resources. I love Jennifer Jacobson's book as well! :)

    Second Grade Sugar and Spice

    ReplyDelete
  13. LOVE your writing workshop ideas and the creatively-inspiring space you crafted for your students! Parents must love you!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks so much!! The first grade team does this every year. At the end if they all complete it they earn ice cream sundaes!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Laurie,

    I stumbled upon this on Pinterest. I want to thank you for reminding me of how much I loved writing as a child. Your post really reminded me of writing when it was purely for joy and learning.

    I write constantly in my work, but often feel writer's block for my own projects. Your teaching rubric is something I am going to use to set up my writing space and use as I prepare to write for myself.

    If you ever do anything for adult writers, then I am in.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thank you! I agree completely with you on your first paragraph. I've ALWAYS loved writing and never understood why some just hated it.

    I've noticed a huge change since using the Writer's Workshop. My class LOVES to write. Mainly because they can write about what they want and they know the routine. I occasionally have them write to a prompt so they focus in on an idea.

    It's quite impressive to see what a first grader can write!

    Laurie

    ReplyDelete
  17. WHY am I just finding you now!?!?! I LOVE LOVE LOVE your writing rubric and the idea of a SIMPLE conferring notebook with editing sheet! I am looking into the 6 traits writing workshop this year and your introductions mesh that WONDERFULLY! Thanks so much for your creativity and sharing!
    Have a great back-to-school time with your kiddos!
    Julie
    Ms. Marciniak's First Grade Critter Cafe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. THANKS so much!! I love the feedback. We're now implementing the Common Core this year. I'm not sure yet how my Writer's Workshop will look but it seems our focus will be more on opinion/informational writing and less on the narrative.

      Delete
  18. Love the rate your writing posters, whre can I download them?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually haven't made a downloadable file. I've seen many people recreate it though!

      Laurie

      Delete
    2. I uploaded this to my TpT Store if you want to check it out!

      Delete