Image Map

February 2, 2015

Another SNOW Day

Really?!  I'm hoping our winter is almost over with all the snow and snow days we've had in the last two weeks.  We're looking at 10-14 inches!!  Ouch.  I'm ready for a trip to somewhere warm and have found myself looking at our Hawaii pictures, wishing my feet were in the sand.

We've continued to learn about snow and winter!

Last week, we took time to browse through "How To" books.  We made observations and made a list of what we noticed.  Most of our books had temporal words, diagrams, pictures, photographs, taught how to build, take care of, or make something.


After reading, The Biggest, Best Snowman, we wrote sequenced steps on "How to Build a Snowman."


After their writing, I handed out directions I had written for "How to Build a Snowman."  They read through each step and highlighted the temporal words.  Working in teams they followed my steps to make a snowman out of powered soap.

Of course I have no pictures because it was quite involved and messy. The snowmen are now drying and finishing touches will be added this week.  You can check out an old post here (How to Build a Snowman).

I couldn't find Ivory Snow this year so I went with Tide (no dyes or perfumes added) and it worked just fine.

If you look closely, it was even snowing on Friday.

We also did some winter art.  Students painted a white moon and slowly blended blue in a circular motion.  They added the snow and their snowmen.  Using colored pencils they added the details.  They're quite adorable outside of our room!

Click to enlarge.

2 comments:

  1. Wow! I think I would start to get a bit stir crazy with all that snow...because I wouldn't be going outside. I do however love all your snowman activities especially your art projects. Try and stay warm! Hopefully you'll have school tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Winter has really hit us the last two weeks. I'm hoping it's almost over!! :o)

      Delete