Jennifer at Rowdy in First is hosting a "Ten Things I've Learned" link party so thought I'd join in on the fun. I'm POSITIVE I've learned more than 10 things!
1. I get just as excited as the kids do to read new picture books! Today, a teacher gave me a new Scaredy Squirrel book and I read it first thing to my kids.
2. First and for most I am a teacher, but I also hold many other jobs while working: parent, role model, nurse, secretary, guidance counselor, data collector and analyzer...
3. Kids are like sponges! I'm amazed more and more everyday at what these kids have learned in a year. If you teach it, they'll learn it.
4. GOOD teachers RARELY sit. I have a desk but rarely use it.
5. I thought teachers were a bit obsessed with laminating when I saw them with their own. I'm now one of THOSE teacher and have a small laminator at home!
6. I love organization and having things in their place. Binders are a big deal to me!
7. Routine and structure is ESSENTIAL for all students.
8. Set high expectations-students CAN meet them with effective teaching!
9. People truly have no idea how much $$ you spend on your classroom and supplies unless they work in this field! I'm sure my husband would cringe if he saw ALL of my receipts.
AND NUMBER 10...
10. It takes a school community to grow successful, happy students. I've ALWAYS believed this! One person alone can't always do it. Having the support of fellow colleagues is crucial.
AND A COUPLE MORE...
11. Making kids laugh out loud is pure bliss for me! I've worked so hard this year on sense of humor with them. They were all so literal at the beginning of the year. Having those "small" moments with them and then having them know it's time to go back to work is PERFECTION!
12. PATIENCE. I've always been a patient, relaxed, low stress type of teacher even though life seems to be SooOoooo fast paced and constantly on the go. This year, since moving to first, I've really taken notice of this and have worked hard on creating a calm environment where it isn't about how fast they can get their work done or HOW MUCH we can squeeze into a small amount of time. It's quality!
WOW, I could probably go on but I was suppose to stop at 10!!