Image Map

February 9, 2016

Stop Talking During a Read Aloud

Pretty catchy title right?

Some colleagues went to a workshop with Lester Laminack and it sounds like I need to hear him speak too!

He said that teachers tend to have lessons ready, points to make, and reading strategies to teach while doing read alouds.  Instead of letting the book play out like a movie, we stop and teach the points we feel we need to teach.

Instead, he said teachers should just read the book from start to finish without any interruptions.  Then let kids share what they're itching to tell about the book.

So, I've been doing this with my class about once a week.  Before beginning, I let the class know that I'll read the book from start to finish without stopping or making a teaching point.  They also have to do the same.  No blurting out, just keep your ideas spinning around in your head.

At the end of the read aloud, they open up their Reader's Notebooks and write anything they want.  It can be a connection, an I wonder, inference, favorite part, or something about the illustrations.

I read Children Make Terrible Pets.  I knew I'd get a reaction from them and they'd have plenty to write about.

Let me say, this is quite a new adjustment for me.  To NOT talk at all through a read aloud is a very daunting task but with each one it has become easier.


Here are some of their responses.







I mean, look what they came up with!!  We went around the room, shared, and answered each other's questions.  It was SIMPLY amazing.

I say, give it a try and see what happens in your class!!

No comments:

Post a Comment