Image Map

October 18, 2015

Narrative Writing

This week we focused on Narrative Writing.  I have now introduced students to the 3 forms of writing.

I always begin with the read aloud, Wilfrid Gordon McDonald Partridge. It's such a great way to introduce memories and how they make you feel.

We quickly listed some feelings and memories (from the book) that could fit into each category.  Sorry for the messy board and writing but kids quickly picked up on writing about something they know well. I even shared some of my memories.  Some were happy, while others were sad.


Students created their own Heart Maps to use later which has drawings and labels of topics they can write about.

I always begin by writing about what we know.  I find students have a difficult time making up a story that has a beginning, middle, and end. SO we write about what we know.

This week we read books about mom and dad.  We brainstormed a list of what we do with our moms and dads and then began writing.

After Quiet 10 (illustrating), I model and show them the expectations. We're currently working on writing 3 sentences, an opening, middle, and wrap up sentence.  Some students can do more and I'm all for it!!

Once they're done, they go back and reread their work and check for conventions.  I meet with them and if they're all done I stamp/write the date at the bottom.  Then students go back to finish their illustration.

Here are the pieces I modeled.

No comments:

Post a Comment