Image Map

October 21, 2016

More Work with Reader's Ask Questions

What would you do if you had a new sibling and everything you once had was being painted PINK? Would you run away?  Would you hide your things?  Would you be mad or sad?  

We had a lot of "I wonders" and recorded them on our worksheets while reading Peter's Chair.  


Here are a few examples.



Before Reading  
I wonder if they paint the chair pink?  
I wonder if the baby likes pink?  
I wonder if he'll take the dog?  
I wonder why they are painting everything pink?  

During
I wonder if he will go further?
I wonder if someone will find him?
I wonder if he'll take the chair away?
I wonder if they will paint the chair pink?

After
I wonder if he really wanted to paint it pink?
I wonder if they will paint all of his things pink?
I wonder if he's happy?

Later in the week we reviewed questioning with the book, Jamaica's Find.  This is such a great book for this age because it's a story they can all relate to.  Finding something and wanting it so badly but knowing it's not yours to keep.  Jamaica is left with a tough decision on if she should return the dog or keep it.

We recorded our questions again.


Here are some examples.


Before Reading
I wonder if the dog is hers?
I wonder if she will play with it?
I wonder will she keep it?

During
I wonder if she's sad?
I wonder if she will give it back?

After
I wonder if she likes it?
I wonder if she loves the dog?
I wonder if they will play in the playground?

Students have done a great job with questioning before, during, and after reading.  Next up we'll be learning, "Readers visualize."

No comments:

Post a Comment